You probably know that Google uses over 200 ranking factors in their algorithm…
But few people can tell what the 200 ranking factors are.
Well, you guys are on the right track, because we've put together a complete list of ranking factors.
Some have been confirmed.
Some are controversial.
Still others are speculation by SEO experts.
All of these are covered in this comprehensive Google ranking factor.
And it's the latest update list for 2022.
Page Layer Factors
Site Layer Factors
Special Google Algorithm Rules
On-site spam factors
Offsite Spam Factors
1. Domain Name Factor
1. Domain Age : Google's Matt Cutts says:
"The difference between a six-month domain name and a one-year domain name isn't that big at all."
In other words, Google uses domain age as a ranking factor, but this factor is not that important.
2. The keyword appears in the top-level domain : Having a keyword in your domain name won't give you the same SEO boost it once did. But it's still a correlation signal.
3. Keyword as the first word in the domain name in the domain name: Domain names that start with the target keyword have an advantage over sites that don’t have that keyword in the domain name (or have it in the middle or at the end of the domain name).
4. Length of domain name registration : Google's patent states:
"Valuable (legitimate) domain names are often email list paid up front for a registration period of several years, while illegal domain names are rarely used for more than a year. Therefore, the expiry date of the domain name can be used as a factor in predicting the legitimacy of the domain."
5. Subdomains contain keywords: Moz's panel believes that keywords that appear in subdomains can improve rankings.
The keyword appears in the subdomain
6. Domain History: A domain with volatile ownership may tell Google to "reset" the site's history, negating links to the domain. Or, in some cases, the penalized domain name may be transferred to a new owner.
7. Exact Match Domain Name (EMD) : Exact match domains can still give you a slight edge. But if your EMD happens to be a low-quality site, it's vulnerable to EMD updates.
searchengineland - Google EMD update
8. Public vs Private WhoIs: Private WhoIs are a sign of "some information is hidden". Google employee Matt Cutts said:
“… When I look at WhoIs (domain registration information), they all have “WhoIs Privacy Protection.” That’s unusual. … Turning on domain privacy isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but once you factor those factors into consideration, The webmasters you speak of are often very different from those who only have one website."
9. Penalized WhoIs Owners : If Google determines that a particular person is a spammer, they scrutinize other sites owned by that person, which are also at risk of being penalized.
10. TLD Country Extension : Having a country code TLD (eg: .cn, .pt, .ca) can help the site rank for a specific country,… but this domain name limits its ability to rank globally.
Second, the page layer factors
11. Title tags contain keywords : While this factor is less important than it once was, your title tags are still an important element of on- page SEO .
The keyword appears in the title tag
12. Start your title tag with a keyword : According to Moz, title tags that start with a keyword tend to perform better than those that start with a keyword at the end of the title tag.
13. Include keywords in description tags : Google does not use meta description tags as a direct ranking signal. However, your description tags can affect CTR, a key ranking factor.
14. H1 tags contain keywords : H1 tags are "second title tags". According to the results of a relevance study, Google uses your h1 tag as the second most important relevance signal:
h1 tag research
15. TF-IDF : means "How often does a word appear in a document?". The more times the word appears on a page, the more likely the page is about that word. Google may be using a more complex TF-IDF.
16. Content Length : Content with more words can cover a wider range than short/obvious content, making it easier for algorithms to favor it. In fact, a recent ranking factor indust